Let it SNOW!!!


Where's the crazy carpet? This is a picture from the corner of 6th Ave and Godfrey St. in Larder Lake Ontario over looking, yes you're right, a body of water named Larder Lake, what a coincidence.

http://www.larderlake.net/maps.html

I must have been crazy (or at least going crazy) in this tiny town of approximately fifteen hundred people, at the time, when we would get hit with what felt like heaps of snow five out of twelve months of the year. For at least three of those months temperatures were usually -30 degrees, but it was mostly sunny. There is A LOT of snowmobiling, ice fishing, skiing, skating, and various winter activities that residents of small communities engage in. My favorites were figure skating, which I did for five years, and skiing. Unfortunately I gave up skiing when I was young to make more time for the skating, but some years ago I thought it would be great to try it again. Like riding a bike (it's true there are some things you just don't forget how to do, especially if you liked it), I was going down hills feeling so good about being outside and getting some fresh air. I'm thinking about skiing because I'm looking outside my window and screaming "Let it snow, I want to go play".

It's amazing how much time we can spend indoors as adults, more so when it's cold and windy out, yet we still have to go out to get to work or do our groceries etc. When we were kids we loved the fresh scenery and couldn't wait for the weekend (or after school) to go out and enjoy it for hours.

A great snowfall, like the one here tonight in Toronto, could either 1) make your life miserable 2) make you stay inside or 3) make you rummage through your warm coats and snow gear in anticipation for tomorrow's powder.

Even if I chose to stay in tonight (instead of taking a walk in the blizzard), the happy feelings I got just thinking about the snow angels and ski trips still to come this season are enough to get me in the right mood for ol' man winter.

Comments

Popular Posts