Discipline for the weak/week

If the expression "Everything in moderation" rings a bell, well this brings much truth to my life right at this very moment. I feel overwhelmed with the amount of chores, tasks, and projects that are on my calendar this morning that I am not sure where to start (not to exclude the overdue visits with friends that I anticipate).
Fortunately there is, with properly thought out planning, a good way to maximize the day and week without gorging and feeling sick later.

First things first.
Tea and read the news. (Protect all those who were in Christchurch, New Zealand when the quake hit).
Second. Made a list of all things I want to accomplish- this week. Check.
Next was to look at the day planner (I am now paper free as I LOVE my gmail calendar). There's a couple of times that were competing for my attention, so luckily, responses to changing a couple of appointments were quick and painless.
Once the "obligations" were dealt with, time to slot in some personal work.
Getting in touch with teachers to clarify some details about assignments is always good to be able and budget time a bit better. Not that I am able to do this straight away, but now I know that everyday for at least X amount of time I need to work on these things.
It's extremely important to factor in some fun and/or relaxation. Put it in writing. It is a priority as much as going to the dentist, and if it's in the calendar you won't double book yourself. However, this does not mean surfing the Internet or talking on the phone (unless these are activities that you don't normally do and find enjoyable), but other things like reading a few pages from a good book which can easily be found at the library, trying a new recipe (or maybe something you remember eating when you were a kid), learning how to bowl, going to a park or making thank you cards. Doing something that is not work gives us energy and satisfaction.
Finally, just flow with each day as they come.

Now that should be easy right?
There is of course the component of sticking to what has been committed to.
I usually fail at this one. I'm good for the planning part but less disciplined in keeping to it. It usually feels so good when things are being accomplished and fond memories are formed. This week, I will be trying my hardest because it just feels like what I should be doing. No more excuses!

Comments

Popular Posts