Food Cravings

It's fairly certain that nobody is immune to them. Food cravings, good and not so good, affect us all, and there are several different reasons we reach for certain treats and snacks. We all have patterns, whether they be psychological or emotional, physical or social ones. I am finding this month to be exceptionally challenging because when the weather changes, as is the case in Southern Ontario in November, I start feeling cold right about now. My instinct is to go with carbs, because they fill you up and they are usually very hearty (good for adding a bit of reserve weight on for protection). But I often forget that spice is so excellent to create a similar feeling of warmth for the insides (and they are usually great for digestion too!). Cumin, turmeric and simple garlic are super effective for both of these just mentioned.

Fruit seems to have fallen off my cravings list as of recently because they just give me a sugar spike (which is great in the summer heat days when I am feeling a bit heavy or lethargic) but then I feel like I need more sugar in the means of carbs, again, just to keep it going. So instead, my opposite craving has kicked in, vegetable juice. Tons of it. I can't seem to get enough veggie juice these days. I almost want more of it than water. The alkaline in this type of juice helps balance glucose levels in my body and I feel it immediately. I have found this to be a great way to stay away from too many sweets too and give my body some great nutrients.

I must say though, that regardless of the changes in my cravings, I always know when I've gone too far. I had a whole stack of Pringles the other day and didn't feel so hot (and I don't mean heat). The dryness in the new fall air combined with too much salt is not fun in general. So I am trying to balance the good stuff with the yummy stuff without making the scales tip, and that includes my own.

Regardless of what I'll be craving tomorrow, I am making sure that the fridge is stocked with nutritious stuff in case there's also mud pie in the freezer!

Comments

Popular Posts