Listen up

What is the "My Health, Your Health" blog about? It's a place, although not a physical one (yet!) where you visit when you are in the mood to feel good. Some people like to cook, others eat, some like to do sports, others cheer, some sing, dance or draw, and others enjoy receiving the healing touch to clear their minds. This is a blog about taking responsibility for what it is that you like doing! What makes me feel good and what makes you feel good. For this reason I encourage you to tell me what makes you happy and perhaps what topics you would like MHYH to be about. In return, I will choose topics that make people energized, active, in control, and happy. I'll also often write about my favorite things.
As a first official blog entry (Baby Steps was my affirmation that this is actually real) I wish to write about the effects of music and how we can truly benefit from listening to songs.
We know how the senses work and therefore we know that each one is connected to the brain and through day to day experiences our audio, visual, taste, smell and touch will be translated into something we like or dislike. This interpretation process of categorizing begins from the moment we are born, and like many things we experience from that moment onward much of it will register what types of sounds, smells, tastes and so on we will respond positively and negatively to over time. Pavlov's classic conditioning theory states that reinforcement let us know how to process certain things. One will associate a good feeling, or stimuli, such as the warm touch from the caregiver when a bottle of milk is given to the child, which is not a necessary action but gives a positive interpretation for the child. The taste of the milk and the positive emotion will remain connected unless later it becomes associated with a dislike or bad feeling. Well, what does milk have to do with music? What I wish to explain first is why music is a positive activity for many people. Everyone remembers a song they absolutely love and that particular melody or sound simply makes them feel happy or empowered or vital, that is due to recall that occurs when you associate that song with dancing so freely or being in that group performance. It's the reinforcement of feeling great. Whatever it is that you associate with that song, it feels awesome! That is because your hearing is allowing you to process one sense while experiencing an emotion, such as joy. Emotions vary, and yes, we all have a "tear jerking" song, a "punch the wall" song, and a "falling in love" song. So the objective of this MHYH is to highlight the songs or melodies that make you feel radiant, powerful, and balanced.
Daily affirmations give you a sense that you are in charge, or can be a positive moment in your day. Turning on the radio or TV for news first thing in the morning is no more work than having your alarm clock set to a music station you like, instead of the loud buzzer that wakes you up in the morning. (If you really need that BUZZ in the morning, might I suggest a second alarm somewhere across the room where you need to get out of bed to turn it off). By this time your music is already playing and creating energy. Maybe a softer, smoother tune is your thing, so you choose. Living in the now is essential as it is the perfect invitation to hear something current or fresh allowing for that new "favorite".
I can appreciate that music is not every one's light or inspiration, but I can be sure of the fact that everyone puts one foot in front of the other when they walk, and that... that is rhythm. Yours can be slow, fast, heavy, sexy or simple. I like different songs at different times of the day usually but as we approach sleepy time now it's maybe time for some smooth musical ambiance.

Comments

  1. What I find interesting is why we like the music that we like.

    I wanted to do a study and find out what you were listening to at age 5. I really think that at 5 yars old you know a few songs or albums that you like and this goes on to shape the musical mind.

    At 5 years old I loved Eddie Grant, James last and the Chariots of Fire (Vangelis) soundtrack.

    I now am enthusiastic about playing all styles of guitar, metal music and electronic music.

    Now it's your turn...

    M Powell (BA Hons Music)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to be notified of your blog Isabelle and great concept - the community orientation should be interesting and I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

    I'm going to play the devil's advocate (which I love doing) for a minute and ask you / the group how malleable our conditioning to certain music can be. One of the primary reasons I use the buzzer in the morning is because I don't want to associate music with the unpleasant feeling of being jolted out of sleep. But I'm terrible at getting up in the morning so you may be on to something. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This particular blog is about listening to as opposed to playing a musical instrument (and I certainly will be doing a little bitty on that for sure too). I saw this one as a great opportunity to talk about the effects of hearing a song or melody that makes you feel invigorated :)
    I love, and can't live without, music playing on my ipod or stereo throughout the day. The songs create the soundtrack to my life. And since I have a crappy memory I also find that listening to music helps me to remember times that are worthy of remembering.
    I have to honestly say that when I was five the music playing in my house was The Lawrence Welk Show that my mom listened to, Shaun Cassidy that my sister had blaring from her room, and the occasional country soundtrack (on 8-track), so I think that's why I have such a weird mix of what I like to listen to. However, the simple fact that music (on the TV, on the stereo, or in the car) was always playing while I was growing up perhaps accounts for why I love it so much.
    I'll dish out a little something for the night owls of the world; If you are getting up with a loud sound every morning, could that be the cause or the reason you feel "jolted" out of sleep in the morning?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there's any pleasant way to come out of sleep. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts