Loud and Proud

The idea on my mind today is how we, as individuals, say stuff to each other. How we relay information about who we are, through our expressions, dress and attitude. What I'm thinking about is on a larger scale as well. Gazing out onto the sidewalk from the sunny cafe window, there are many people milling about, walking, nodding to one another, sitting together, and they all have something in common. Everyone is communicating. It's no big surprise really, but we all convey some sort of message in how we stand, sigh and look around aimlessly or with purpose.

Even when we are not actually using words to speak and attempt to be understood, we still say something. What would you like to be saying?
I had to take a few moments to truly think about this one.
It was easy to come up with the standard "My name is... or How are you doing today?", but digging a little deeper it was interesting to investigate what I was actually saying without uttering a single word.

Feeling vulnerable can elicit some strange feelings in many people, and I have observed it as being a tricky one with myself also, and perhaps it is only a North American thing that contributes to people communicating things that are not always true to their nature. I know I've caught myself singing to myself in the elevator but when someone else got on, the singing ended. Why did I stop? I was obviously in a mood to sing. Why would I hide that? Assessing this level of personal comfort with being open with others, and with oneself, can be a first step but it can also help in identifying whether or not one is saying more than is intended. In this case, if I had continued to sing, the person who got on might join in if they were feeling the vibe, or they might just enjoy listening (or not!). On the other hand, perhaps ending my voice lesson early could create insecurity with myself and my voice.

Sometimes we are blowing our nose or sneezing, does this say "I'm getting a cold, or I have allergies"?
When we are walking really fast, are we saying "I'm in a rush or I've really got to get to a bathroom"?
Lets say we are sitting in a cafe, do others read "They're studying, working, or just chillin"?
What makes me think of all this is the notion that when one is simply observing, as I am now, even if it appears nothing is happening, there is so much going on that we don't necessarily hear.

As there are so many things we could be saying, of course without coming right out and saying it with words (which is still conditional to subjective interpretation), everyone will have their own idea or translation of what they hear, see or feel. So without being too preoccupied with what everyone around me is thinking about when they interact with me (since they will think what they want anyway), I make sure to be comfortable with my intentions first thing when I wake up or before I go to a meeting or interview, lunch date or event. By setting out this intention with myself, even if my actions stray a little, I know that at the end of the day I have done all I can to ensure being happy with my decisions and who I would like to be and say.

Comments

Popular Posts