Happy Feet

Yes, a pedicure!
It is a custom of mine that I honour every six to eight weeks. It takes me about an hour (and a half sometimes) and it is something I love to do for myself, by myself.
I know, some people are more fond of the "treat" of going and getting a pedicure because you can just sit there and enjoy the wonderful feeling of someone else massaging your tender tootsies all the while flipping the pages of a book or magazine. However, my approach is in promoting doing the deed oneself. I feel different when I give myself a pedicure as opposed to going to get one.
I believe that our feet are so sacred. Reflexology also subscribes to the same notion. Apparently the soles of our feet and its entire surrounding surface goes more than skin deep. Everything from spinal, digestion to brain functions and blockages can be massaged back to health with producing the right amount of pressure and motion on the foot, upper and sole areas. Now the pedicure I am talking about is a little simpler, but I feel is of equal value.
Knowing that our feet take a lot of abuse such as taking us back and forth just about EVERYWHERE (unless you are driving or in an assistive moving device), feet do take the grunt of our activities. They deserve love. Lots of it. Which is why I am such a fan of praising my own feet.
I soak them in warm to hot water, with some Epsom salts, then give them a good vigorous exfoliation, then soak again. Clean, clip, and massage comes next. And of course I like to use an uplifting colour to polish the nails, which makes me smile. Not to worry, for men who aren't into pink toe nails, or women who aren't into using polish at all, there are many other "finishes" you can use, and the most frequently used are simple, natural and often just a clear coat for protection, or otherwise lotions can also be used.
It's the whole experience of treating my feet with attention, and thanking them for being solid beneath my body that I love. And once it's all done, they are soft, less swollen, and are ready for more adventure. That's a fair trade, non?

Comments

Popular Posts