Past, Present, Future

I am currently looking for employment. Not every one's favorite thing to do, but nonetheless I am having a pretty good time with it. I mean, there are those days when I really just wanna wake up, shower, get dressed and get going. Having somewhere to be, participating with the rest (or much) of the world, and feeling useful gives us overall nice feelings, so it's natural that once everyone else has gotten to their destinations and started working on whatever it is they do, some days I wish I was one of them.

Despite these little interruptions of dreaming of being at work (which is in fact quite productive in setting myself up for actually being in a work situation), I have been truly enjoying reading all kinds of books on employment opportunities, interviewing styles, strengths of differing individuals and various other skill building texts that offer helpful insights. One common thread in many of these books is getting to know yourself well.

This of course meant I had to rework my resume, again. The funny thing that happened this time however, as I hashed out all of the things I've done over the course of my professional life, I am completely amazed at just how much I have done. The first part covers my PAST. All of my years in school in Ottawa, Montreal, Oakville and Toronto don't even include all the jobs, seminars, apprenticeships and lectures I've completed and attended. It's quite the roster of experiences and it brought back many memories of long nights doing homework (and goofing off), working on projects and productions, as well as all the great teachers I've had along the way.

As for my PRESENT, I'm trying to calm the never fading itch to start my own business or endeavour. This is where one really needs to see themselves clearly, knowing their strengths, weaknesses, and thoroughly examine what is needed in order to achieve full satisfaction and be successful with one's career and life, and in this case my goal of becoming an entrepreneur. Not a small topic to tackle here, but the rewards of working on my resume, again, this week, has become a very worth while activity. The first time I did work on it, a couple of months ago, it was almost rhetorical and mechanical. Doing it over after careful observation of what it is that I want as opposed to what someone else might be looking for has been an enlightening adventure. Even if I wasn't looking for a job, it's a wonderful way to re-examine where things have gone right and where they may have been steered off track for a while also. A highly recommended activity if you have a bit of spare time. I also sort of view it as a free psychotherapy session. Sitting back and looking at all my past accomplishments and failures allows me to understand where I am today, physically, financially, and emotionally. Am I really ready to take on such a big challenge? Only the FUTURE will tell. Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular Posts