"Go Play Outside"

How I remember this phrase, "Go play outside!" Our parents used it often. As a kid who grew up in the north I recall the delight of going outside to run around in the parks, in the bushes, in the school yard and playing in the baseball diamond. Spending an entire summer day at the beach was also not uncommon. There's an incredible amount of neat stuff to explore when you're twelve, and doing everything and anything that has been dared by friends is equally exciting. Gazing at the stars seemed like the most pleasurable thing to do in the world.

For the August long weekend, I accompanied loved ones for a camping trip that I will always remember. It has been quite a long time since I've had so much fun playing outside. Simply being in the open air is so genuinely refreshing (and I'm not talking about the typical smoggy city air either). Spending an entire day in the outdoors is tiring and exhilarating all at the same time. I'd forgotten how important it is to really reconnect with the natural elements that our lovely planet has to offer. Before I left for this trip I think there was a bit too much rushing around, and worse of all I was becoming completely absorbed in my own endeavours. "Getting outside" was the best remedy for stress because it allowed me to look around and remember that this massive galaxy which I am part of and what I've been worrying about is not so big after all.

I'm just taking a guess here but I'd probably not be too far off the mark if I said that in North American culture today, we spend far more time indoors, due to the internet and Rock Band, than we used to. Not only does this maybe contribute to our expanding waistlines, but getting out is sometimes forgotten as a means to take a breather (quite literally!).

Finding and making the time to go sit on a patch of grass, going for a bike ride or a skate, or simply taking a walk around the block, will uplift your mood, your outlook and probably keep you more fit. Staying inside has its advantages too, however after a full weekend of swimming, boating, hiking, walking in sand, and sitting by a fire, it's hard to keep me in these days.

Pic Island

Comments

Popular Posts