I love Pumpkins

It's not just because I love the month of October and Halloween that pumpkins have been one of my new staples in the kitchen as of late. Not only are they super yummy, full of nutrients, and quite filling, but pumpkins are a once a year treat in these parts.
Here's the recipe I just made this morning.

Couscous with Pumpkin and Cashews

Ingredients:
1 small pumpkin, about 1kg/2 1/4lb, deseeded, peeled and chopped
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp confectioners' (icing) sugar
1 tsp freshly chopped rosemary (I substituted for basil since I am sensitive to rosemary)
300 g/1 1/2 cups of instant couscous
100 g/ 2/3 cups of cashew nuts
1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley (which I grow indoors year round)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Method of preparation:
Prep and cook time: 45 min approx.
1 Blanche the pumpkin flesh in boiling salted water for about 5 minutes until almost cooked through. Drain and leave to steam dry.
2 Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and pumpkin for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. I also added 1/2 cup of chick peas. Dust with confectioners' (icing) sugar and let caramelize slightly.
3 Season with rosemary (or basil), salt and pepper, then add about 375 ml/1 1/2 cups of water and the couscous. Cover and leave for about 7-10 minutes until all the water has been absorbed.
4 Stir in the cashew nuts, parsley and cinnamon, season with salt and pepper and serve.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts