Changing Leaves

As the fall weather begins to make its stay more permanent, colours all around are becoming slightly more muted, in tones of burnt orange, moss green and mustard yellow, instead of summers' bright pinks, blues and lime. Living in north America, the changing of the seasons is not only time for swappin' the closet or getting ready for vacations or back to school time, it's also a great way to take a little time out, enjoy the reality that all things are not permanent, and that everything is cyclical.
I often joke about being born in the wrong part of the world (namely because I love the sun and the heat!) but there's a good reason why this is where my soul chose to be. "Comfort", noun: Things that contribute to physical ease and well-being. I will, once accustomed, get pretty comfortable with the general state of things. This will sometimes lead to becoming lazy because I don't have to think so much about things in order to get through the day, or my actions don't seem to have much consequence. Despite this, when everything around me, people, scenes, pace, becomes altered, I am prompted to pay attention.
However nice it is to occasionally be stuck in your own little bubble of bliss or contentment, paying attention to the changing of the leaves is something that strikes me very hard this fall. In the spring into summer, rainfall, the melting of the snow and plenty of sunshine helped the trees to blossom into foliage rich and abundant, providing shade and shelter to many creatures of the earth. As fall takes hold, the same leaves become a warm palette of hues which give back to the earth once they fall, die and become compost. So as I take a my little breather to remind myself of this very simple process, I think about what it is time to do and become.
I guess the message I wish to share today is that we are all connected to one another, and every change of action we take has an effect on the future, our future. It's important to stay open to change, but also remember (or be reminded) that we also create change.
Happy Fall!

Comments

Popular Posts