Cleanse

Years ago I used to do a colon cleanse every spring. In either April or May I would head down to Noah's Health food on Bloor Street http://www.noahsnaturalfoods.ca/ret_store_locator.asp?storeID=25253C03182E4524ACDDB4F565E2742F or to the Apple Tree on Queen Street West and pick up a box of the Wild Rose Colon Cleanse Kit http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=2914. This was something I looked forward to every time I knew summer was on it's way. I'd be pulling out my light clothes and bathing suits, and this is when patio evenings would become plenty so I knew this was a good time to flush out all that winter comfort food and get myself ready for a season of fun. Summer is the best time to be getting outside a lot more, so in thinking about wanting to feel a little more "sphelt", I also wanted to have as much energy as I did when I was 9 and be able to go go go for fourteen hours a day straight. That's why I did the cleanse. It gave me SO much energy. I felt brand new after the twelve days of purely almonds, brown rice, vegetables and very little meat (during the years when I ate meat). All the water I drank also helped with flushing out all the toxins and stuff that had built up that shouldn't have been ingested in the first place. That meant no wine or spirits during the duration of the cleanse too (this also acted as a mini liver cleanse which is always a good idea).
For the last, lets say almost two years (when I found out I was pregnant), I can count the number of alcoholic beverages I've had on two hands and I gave up chocolate once I started breastfeeding. During my pregnancy I took multivitamins and tried to eat balanced, and even started drinking decaf orange pekoe tea. I am no saint, there were maple cookies eaten and continue to be so, but I feel I have been relatively good with what goes in my system. However, there is something that is intuitively telling me that I want to do a cleanse again. I know I could use a little sugar sweep (the stuff helps me get through long days with a very active one year old son when nights have been a little slim on sleep), and due to time constraints, the freezer seems to hold more meals than I would like to admit, albeit I do pride myself on a good fifty fifty split with fresh home cooked meals. So, all this being said, I wonder how I can start fresh. A cleanse was my way of resetting my internal monitor for consumption, but as I still find myself breastfeeding, it is recommended to not attempt a full cleanse at this time.
The goal is for fall. I hope to be breastfeeding very little by then and a home cleanse should still have very similar effects to doing a full herbal detox. Although I trust next spring when I go ahead and do the twelve days of the real thing, I am sure a good sweep in the fall will prep me to be extra attentive to all that I eat and drink to feel optimal.

Comments

Popular Posts