My bike

Last summer I moved into a small small space. It was very conveniently located in the downtown of Toronto, and right by the water which is extremely nice in the summer. I did find that a bike would be the best and easiest way to get to and from my place around the city but I also didn't know where I would put it. Many condo and apartment buildings don't have enough bike parking (especially for residents) so I kept walking or taking transit until I decided to investigate the new trendy folding bikes that you see around more and more these days.
Believe it or not, folding bikes are not a new idea. The military used them as far back as the 1890's, which makes it more than 100 years old. Being used for this original purpose, it wasn't until the 60's that the design became more mainstream for the public and resembles the models we see today.
I was rather lucky to go into Dukes http://www.dukescycle.ca/ and talk to a couple of their knowledgeable peeps about folding bikes. They had different ones in the store and even though I had a budget (and there was one particularly good looking bike in there on sale), it was after a wee ride around the block that I fell in love with my new bike. This is the first new bike I've ever purchased for myself.


Dahon is a company that started out in California in 1975 by Dr. Hon who created the first Dahon folding bike. Since then they make and manufacture these ecologically friendly bicycles from places all around the world. Pretty good for a guy who just wanted to address the inevitable oil crisis issue (which will probably happen some day).
http://www.dahon.com/

Now that I live in East York and not as close to downtown I do take public transit more often, but the cool thing is that my bike is very portable. Since it folds down to the size of a rolling suitcase which stores very well in the den, I have no problems bringing it with me wherever I go (and it's so much easier to lug around in elevators).

 
It's not only a good looking bike and very compact, but I love it because it gets me out and doing something other than walking (which I still do love!). The smaller wheels keep me from going too fast (which I used to be notorious for) and it also contributes to a great improvement in my posture, since my mountain bike would require me to hunch over and I would often forget to use my core muscles to keep my back from taking all the shock absorbancy of bumps in the road. Now I am more upright while cycling, similar to how cruisers let you sit, which is better for people with back sensitivities.
This type of bike is certainly not for everyone, some might feel it doesn't fit their needs, for example if they are into a lot of trail riding, but it can be a very useful recreational vehicle as well.
I hope to get many years of enjoyment from my little fold-up.

Comments

Popular Posts