siesta

Ever since I can remember, there has always been a small ritual that my mom does in the afternoon and that is to go for a wee rest every day. Understandably, when one has had three children, it doesn't seem so strange to need a bit more rest when they all still need care and recouping from this adventure is equally respected. I always knew she went to go lie down because her body requested it, and I never thought more of it. Was it only because my mom didn't work outside of the home that she could afford herself the "luxury" of a nap or was she just being lazy? Some people might think that way but investigating the matter reveals an interesting story.

It is known for centuries that people in warm climates, such as Spain where the word Siesta originates, a little nap time in the afternoon is considered acceptable for a few different reasons and would even make one a better person.
First, since the sun is at its hottest and more dangerous after the mid day meal, spending this period of time after lunch inside instead of outside doing work is not only good for avoiding heat stroke and sun exposure, it is also a nice way to spend some time with the family and/or friends. It used to be thought of as rude to call someone during the hours of 2-5pm before the days of industrialization.
Also our biological daily rhythm, also known as our circadian rhythm, is like a clock-regulated mechanism that is imprinted in our cells in order for us to cope with environmental changes and is used for the measurement of time elapsed in a 24 hour day, and paired with our homeostatic regulator (that which regulates when we do need more sleep after a period of exposure to wakefulness) decides if and when we feel tired. When we do feel lack of energy it is not safe to always blame it on this mechanism since we also need to consider sleep, proper diet and exercise as factors. Nonetheless, this can be an additional way to explain the drowsiness we experience after being awake for x amount of hours in the day in combination with the change in our pH after one has a big meal (seeing as lunch is also the biggest meal of the day in many cultures).
Work and religion may also have a role in nap time. Depending on one's work hours (night time or extended periods of time such as with doctors), it will only improve the quality of work if one feels able to perform, and late night naps are sometimes required when early prayers or meditations are tradition for some religious faiths.

Regardless of the reason you choose to "justify" your siesta, I am a big fan of it myself whenever I can do it. When my body is telling me to take a time-out, I like to listen. I won't lie, I really enjoy having a bit of time to digest my food and my morning activities before taking on another load, and with the amount of stuff we are expected to accomplish in this day and age, it's no surprise that a little nap might just do the trick.

Comments

Popular Posts